Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 15:00:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Pedro Vapi <vapi@student.dei.uc.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My dear sio1 (COM2)

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Pedro Vapi wrote:

> > YES!  They conflict!  Either change the modem or the BIOS to use another
> > port.
> >
> > > I have removed the modem, but it still says it doesn't exists...
> >
> > Have you checked your BIOS settings?
>
> Yes... and you know what? I have an option for Serial Port 2. The option
> for that is, Auto, disable, [...], 2F8,[...]
> When i remember to see my bios (after send my mail) i noticed that that
> option was DISABLE!!!!
> So I changed it to 2F8h
> You know what happen?? When I started FreeBSD or DOS and don't use sio1,
> no trouble happen, and BIOS keeps unchanged. When i used my sio1 (i tried
> to put my mouse there) THE BIOS CHANGE!!!! It automatically changes to
> DISABLE!!! I suspect that it is the marvelous PnP...
> Doug: thx for ur sugestion but, pleazzzzz, does you have any other
> sugestion???

Hm, another cranky Phoenix bios I bet.  :(  I am really beginning to hate
that bios, and PnP in general.

These are the IBM PC settings for the first two serial ports, COM1 and
COM2.

sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A

SO here's how I understand how you want to connect things using DOS
terminology, since that's what this stuff is built for.

COM1:  modem
COM2:  mouse

I guess you should set your BIOS as follows:

Serial Port 1:  2f8, irq 3
Serial Port 2:  Disabled

Plug your mouse into the external port marked Serial Port 1.

Save your changes, then quit.  Make sure you save them, otherwise they'll
have no effect.

> Damn... i can't believe i have to change my board...

Maybe not, we'll play with it a bit...