Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2001 16:53:15 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk recovery pointers, please

Juha Saarinen wrote:

> Trying to sort out a server that upon rebooting comes up with:
>
> /dev/da1s1d: CANNOT READ: BLK 16
> /dev/da1s1d: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
> THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEMS HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
>
>         /dev/da1s1d (/data)
>
> Automatic file system check failed . . . help!
>
> So, I run fsck manually, and get:
>
> CANNOT READ BLK 16
> CONTINUE [yn]
>
> If I answer 'y' to that, I get:
>
> THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ:
>
> 16, 17, 18 (all the way to 31).
>
> /dev/da1s1d: NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM (unused).
>
> Couldn't find anything useful in the archives or on the Web apart from
> "reformat"... :-(

Using dd you can try and extract any data that is still intact off the
drive if you know where it is...

I had a drive die on me a while ago, the first chunk of sectors were all
history, but the rest was fine... I just created a new disk label and was
able to mount it and recover most of the data...

Ofcause if you have backups just reformat and restore ;) (but I guess you
wouldnt be asking this if you had backups right?)

If you have the space on another drive I would dump the contents of the disk
into a file with dd and then see if you cant get the thing to mount by fixing
the disk label... Files that are still recognisable will be put in lost+found
dir for you to sort though and see whats recoverable...

Good Luck!