Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 00:52:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        agl@mac.glas.apc.org (Anthony Graphics)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, dufault@hda.com
Subject:   Re: 950412 hangs on ncr0 probing:

> tOn Tue, 30 May 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> > Can you please send me ALL of the markings on both the top and
> > the bottom of the chip.  I have an open incident number with Intel
> > on this and need that information to add to the report.  If possible
> > get your hands on a stepping 1 CPU and see if the problem just goes
> > away.
> >
> Top markings:
> Intel(r)
> IntelDX4 tm
> iCOMP tm index=435
>
> A80486DX4-100
> | C405053W
> | &E 3VOLT SX900
> | INTEL (M)(C)'89'93
>
> Marks on the Bottom (on the pin's grid side):
> A4212608CA
> White label: WARRANTY VOID IF TORN
> 13080595

Thank you, this helped me get my currently open incident report with
Intel elevated from technical support to engineering staff.  I should
be hereing from an Intel engineer about the problem you are having and
that Peter Dufault is also having.

If there are others of you out there who have an Intel 486DX4/100
(either the ODP [DX4ODPR100] or a real DX4/100 [A80486DX4-100]) and
are seeing really strange crashes like illegal/privlidged intruction
fault in the kernel or misc proc's that core with signals please get
the above information to me so that I can add it to the open report.

There has to be a *REASON* that intel went to stepping 1 V1.1 on
the chip, and they can't or won't tell me what it was :-(

Though both sites are having problems with stepping 0 chips, they
SX/SZ numbers are quite different.  There is not a S-Spec to mask
data sheet for the 486 family like there is for the Pentium so I
can not easily find out if the masks are infact the same between
the failing chips.  Even the tech support folks could not find that
out :-(.  I am hoping the engineer has this information!

> Don't know what's under the label: and I checked it twice,
> so the possibility of mistake here is minimal.

That is fine, what is under the label is probably a 2 digit number,
don't worry about.  Intel understands all about these white labels,
as all Intel Authroized distributors put them on there.  If you get
a chip with out one it was probably a grey market or very large
direct order OEM chip.