Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2003 12:32:06 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, Chris Luke <chrisy@flix.net>, Brendon and Wendy <brendy33@attbi.com>
Subject:   Re: mp_machdep.c patch

Julian Elischer wrote:
> > Correct, BIOS settings have no effect on whether or not
> > FreeBSD "sees" HTT CPUs.
>
> Can we have a way of 'nobbling' certain cpus?
> e.g. don't use "#1 and #3?"

The limit is 32.  A bitmap and a lookup table of entries to bits
is enough for now, probably.

We all talked about this approach before, when we were talking
about a simple negaffinity feature in the scheduler, so that new
threads ran on different CPUs from exisitng threads; the same
principle should work for picking CPUs to start/not start, and
it would be easy to set the integer value as a tunable (i.e. in
the boot loader).

The other alternative is to allow control of whether or not the
CPUID patch probe happens or not (see other posting).  It's
probably a longer term solution; if you need something fast,
don't wait for it, unless you want to hack it yourself.

-- Terry