Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 07:45:35 -0600
From:      "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@uswest.com>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@yarmouth>
Cc:        andy@violet.umfacad.maine.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a good editor

Sean Kelly wrote:

>     Andrew>   I am looking for a good editor for BSD that does not
>     Andrew> require x-windows.
>
> I recommend Emacs.  Now, the emacs that comes as a precompiled package
> on the FreeBSD CD-ROM and FTP site will work without X windows but
> needs the X windows shared libraries, so if you've installed those,
> you can use it.
>
> If you don't have the X windows shared libraries, then just download
> the emacs sources and build it without X windows support.  You should
> have no trouble compiling it.

You'll find pico in the ports collection, its part of the pine
distribution.

Also, if you're a novice to emacs (I love emacs), you might also try
uemacs, also in ports or packages. It has many of the features of
emacs, but it is much smaller, and therefore comes up faster. It
doesn't use X at all, and has the advantage, that it can use
the F keys on your keyboard, and will display the bindings to these
keys. So you don't have to remember C-X C-S, C-X C-C.

>     Andrew> Also my background in X currently looks really bad, but I
>     Andrew> am pretty sure I have the correct screen and stuff.
>
> Try running
>
>         xsetroot -solid PaleTurquoise4
>
> --
> Sean Kelly
> NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA
>
> If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe
> you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because hey,
> free dummy.  -- Jack Handey

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service ptroot@uswest.com

Think about it:
almost by definition, half the population is below average intelligence.