Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2018 10:14:58 +0000
From:      "Youssef  GHORBAL" <youssef.ghorbal@pasteur.fr>
To:        "Muenz, Michael" <m.muenz@spam-fetish.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DUP ACKs sent with no reason

On 28 Dec 2018, at 07:37, Muenz, Michael <m.muenz@spam-fetish.org<mailto:m.=
muenz@spam-fetish.org>> wrote:

Am 27.12.2018 um 19:32 schrieb Youssef GHORBAL:

What can explain those DUP ACKs sent by the FreeBSD host? (DUP ACKs sent by=
 the client are "normal" in a way to report missing packet loss and carry S=
elective ACKs, but those sent by the BSD stack are hard to explain)

How can I push the investigation further ?

Hi,

I had similar phenomenons with DUP ACKs, lost packets and also duplicate IC=
MP replies when using Intel X710 cards.

Did you test exchanging hardware and trying Linux-only and/or BSD-only iper=
f to look for a difference?

Thanks Michael. I've tested what you suggested :
- iperf3 on Linux on both sides is working fine. (but It's not the same ser=
ver with Linux on it, it's another box so I'm not sure it's a relevant test=
)
- iperf3 on FreeBSD on both sides exhebits the issue. (the client is not th=
e same one as the Linux box in my initial tests, the server is)
=3D> I'm tempting to think that it's the FreeBSD that is the issue here.

I've also tested with other cards, on the FreeBSD host I have mellanox NICs=
 and I have the same issue.

There is also something I forget to mention in my initial email. On the BSD=
 host the network is configured with a lagg enslaving two cards.
I've had weird issues in the past when a single TCP session was scattred ac=
ross the two NICs of a lagg :
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2017-June/048291.html

This time I've ensured (using tcpdump on both cards of the lagg) that all t=
cp segments of the dialogue was actually using only one NIC.

Is there any known dtrace magic to track which part of the code is sending =
those ACKs ?

Youssef Ghorbal