Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:10:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andrew Fremantle <starslab@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        troyc@thepoint.net
Subject:   RE: Networking

This is helpful, but nothing I was not already aware of. The problem
is that I don't have static IPs. all the machines on my internal net
need to grab their IP information over a DHCP server on the other
side of the ADSL modem. If I go with an IP router solution i'll have
to go with NATd/IP Masq which means no connections incoming from the
outside world. I believe when A sends to B an Ethernet packet is
sent which contains the MAC addresses, and this is "below" the level
of IP networking. I want to analyse that packet and not pass it on to
the modem based on that criteria. Other than that, the diagram below
is what I had in mind.

--- Troy Compton <troyc@thepoint.net> wrote:
Andrew:

I can't respond to question #1 as I have no experience with Linux,
but as for question #2 perhaps you could get by with something like
this:

                 A (WinNT)

ADSL --- FreeBSD --- HUB --- B (Win95)

                 C (whatever)

With this scenario you would be using BSD as an IP router.  This
would block internal traffic from hitting the ADSL at all which, I
think, is what you were trying to get accomplished.  This takes one
PC with two NIC's and a couple of hours.  If this comes close to what
you want I can give you some more info.  I'm using a similar setup at
my place with ISDN in place of ADSL.

Troy

( BTW Troy : sorry for emailing this to you twice. The first one didn't

===
"Binaries may die but source code lives forever"
  --  Unknown

SkyHawk
Andrew Fremantle
starslab@yahoo.com