Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 10:30:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Thomas Gellekum <thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem building lang/icon on 2.0.5R

Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * More data:  make runs fine if my login shell is tcsh.  Normally, I
>  * use pdksh and _did_ use pdksh on 2.0 as a login shell when I ported
>  * icon.
>
> I just tried it on thud, it built fine both with bash and ksh,
> although I didn't change my login shell to either.  I'll try changing
> the shell tomorrow.
>
> By the way, thud is running (what is belived to be pretty close to)
> 2.0.5R.

I checked again on a machine here at work and later at home.  It has
nothing to do with the shell.  It's just that I have enabled
ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE in my .kshrc and set LANG to de_DE.ISO8859-1.
If I unset ENABLE...  icon builds fine.  I have currently no idea
why the locale setting would upset the parser in rtt; the parsed
file (src/runtime/fmisc.r) does not contain characters outside the
ASCII range (some ^L's, but they are also in other .r files), so any
ctype functions should work regardless of the current locale.  No, I
don't know where exactly it hangs.  I chickened out and added a call
to setlocale in more(1) instead.  That's why I had the ENABLE...
set in the first place.  I will mail the diffs to the bugs list.

tg