Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:50:51 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Adam Hefetz" <adam_hefetz@hotmail.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: file system full

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 07:12:27 GMT, Adam Hefetz wrote:

>After I log in and startx I get messages on xterm looking like this:
>Jun 18 10:00:09 hefetz /kernel.old: pid 265 (panel), uid 0 on /usr: file
>system full

In case you are not familiar with it.. check  "du" to help you
find the utilization in different directories.

I would first try "du -d 1 /usr". This would give you a report
of the top most level of /usr.
It may be   that after you installed X there wasn't much space
left (or something else that you recently installed).

If you installed the ports collection and you can't find
anything else to delete AND you don't have any other volume with
free space then the ports collection is a good candidate to go.

Use df to see if there is available space in another volume.