Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 13:26:25 +0200 (GMT)
From:      Thamer Al-Herbish <shadows@whitefang.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Subject:   Re: netstat -r

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:

> > My Petium 120 is running FreeBSD 2.1. When I run the command netstat -r from
> > the command line with user ppp running, it takes this command several minutes
> > at best to complete. Why does it take so long? What is is doing that is taking
> > so much time(name lookup?)? Is there any way to improve the performance?
> > Kirk :)

Actually there is.. but.. it might cause such tools to be bloated. A
while back I wrote a tool which had to display X number of hostnames in
its output, possible hundreds taken out of IP addresses, I simply
implemented an asynchoronous lookup to do it. By writing out the query
packets and shooting it off. (This was done after it did its original job).

Sadly alot of other applications like "netscape" on UNIX-like OSs seem to
have this problem, they'll hang up on a gethostbyname() till the lookup
is complete, this is even more annoying on a GUI app.

I had a look at the res library but I didnt find any "real" asynchronous
lookup functions, would be nice if one was around.. like
async_gethostbyname(...original arguments.., SIGUSR1), where it would
signal when it got it.

Thamer Al-Herbish (ShadowS)	The views expressed here, have no relevance
shadows@whitefang.com		to those of my employer. And may not have
shadows@kuwait.net		any relevance to subject at hand.
		-=whitefang dawt kawm=-