Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:51:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, drosih@rpi.edu, dchagin@freebsd.org, rblayzor.bulk@inoc.net
Subject:   Re: Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Pete French wrote:

>> hi, please type: show lock 0xffffff0001254d20 and then show thread
>> 0xXXXXXXXXXXX where XXXXX is 'owner' of previous output.
>
> http://toybox.twisted.org.uk/~pete/71_pdns_lock.png
>
> That's in Power DNS - which is interesting because the one difference
> between the boxes that lock and those which dont is that the locking ones
> are serving DNS.

I rather feared as much.  Let's run down the path of "perhaps there's a
problem with the new UDP locking code" for a bit and see where it takes us.
Is it possible to run those boxes with WITNESS -- I believe that the fact that
"show alllocks" is failing is because WITNESS isn't present.  The other thing
we can do is revert UDP to using purely write locks -- the risk there is that
it might change the timing but not actually resolve the bug, so if we can
analyze it a bit using WITNESS first that would be useful.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge