Date:      Thu,  3 Jun 1999 17:46:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Russell D. Murphy Jr." <rdmurphy@neale.econ.vt.edu>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matlab 5.3

Thanks to suggestions from Marcel and Sean, I have Matlab (partially)
running (steps listed below).  The problem I still have (I think) is
some residual inconsistency in accessing directories and files from
within the linux programs and script files.  For instance, when I run
Matlab and execute the "helpdesk" command, Matlab tries to start up a
web browser which will read an html file created in /tmp.  But, it
seems unable to create the file:

>> helpdesk
To learn how to configure your Web browser type 'help docopt'
sh: /tmp/MLsystem48538: No such file or directory
??? Error using ==> doc (display_file)
Could not load HTML file into Web browser. Please make sure that
you have a Web browser properly installed on your system.

Error in ==> /disk0/local/matlab5/toolbox/matlab/general/doc.m
On line 31  ==>    display_file(html_file);

Error in ==> /disk0/local/matlab5/toolbox/matlab/general/helpdesk.m
On line 9  ==> doc;

Looking at web.m (called by doc.m): the offending line seems to be:

   comm = ['sh -c ''' doccmd ' ' options ' -remote "openURL( \
        'html_file ')" > /dev/null 2>&1 ''' ];

Perhaps related: after installation, I wanted to run lmstat to check
communications with the license manager.  This script calls arch.sh
which tests for:

	if [ -f /bin/uname ]; then

This should be satisfied:

knock# ls -l /compat/linux/bin/uname
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5368 Aug  5  1998 /compat/linux/bin/uname

and:

knock# /compat/linux/bin/sh
bash# ls -l /bin/uname
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     wheel        5368 Aug  5  1998 /bin/uname
bash# /bin/uname
FreeBSD

but the test always failed (running under the regular sh or
/compat/linux/bin/sh).  (I didn't use Marcel's patch because I'm
running -STABLE, not -CURRENT).

But, to get thus far:

1.  Install rpm-2.5.5.tar.gz

2.  Install tar-1.12-4.i386.rpm
    - insisted on --nodeps to install without rmt
    - if /compat/linux/tmp and /compat/linux/var/tmp are links
      rather than directories, then the post-installation scripts
      here and below fail, claiming "too many levels of symbolic
      links"

3.  Install sh-utils-1.16-14.i386.rpm
    - also cracklib-2.7-2.i386.rpm
    - also cracklib-dicts-2.7-2.i386.rpm
    - also pwdb-0.55-1.i386.rpm
    - also sed-3.02-1.i386.rpm
    - also gawk-3.0.3-3.i386.rpm
    - also pamconfig-0.51-5.noarch.rpm
    - also pam-0.64-3.i386.rpm
    (some of these may not be neccesary, but I simply followed the rpm
     claims about dependencies)

4.  /cdrom/install* -debug -lnx86 &
    - this worked (yesterday, it did not), installing files
    - however, it failed to create in /tmp a "backend" file for use by
      a "backend" script
    - I created the file (in /compat/linux/tmp) from information
      printed via the -debug option; for instance:

MATLAB=/disk0/local/matlab5
OUTPUT_FILE=/disk0/local/matlab5/install_matlabp.out
CHECK_SYMBOLIC_FOR_MAPLE=no
MAPLE_LIBRARIES_DIR=
LICENSE_NUMBER=  < deleted >
WANT_ACCESS_DIR=yes
ACCESS_DIR=/usr/local/bin
WANT_LICENSE_MANAGER=yes
WANT_LMBOOT_LINK=yes

    - after starting /compat/linux/bin/sh:

         bash# /cdrom/update/install/backend /tmp/matlab-backend

      does *not* work because the backend script does not find
      /tmp/matlab-backend (even though ls does).  Instead:

         bash# /cdrom/update/install/backend /compat/linux/tmp/matlab-backend

      runs (partially).
    - the backend script has created a script file /tmp/$$c which
      needs to be modified to call install_matlab with -lnx86
    - then the /tmp/$$c script runs fine

5. I also modified $MATLAB/etc/util/arch.sh to report lnx86 in
   response to `uname` = FreeBSD.

6. Startup requires: matlab -lnx86

This is incomplete; the file location and access problem still needs
to be resolved, but Matlab at least starts up (and can run the demo).

Russ

-----
Russell D. Murphy
Department of Economics
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
3034 Pamplin Hall
Blacksburg, Virginia  24061-0316
(540) 231-4537
rdmurphy@vt.edu