Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:36:36 +0100
From:      Jared Earle <jearle@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Save the Demon!

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:13:22 +0000, mark@markdnet.demon.co.uk
<mark@markdnet.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm not seeing a problem here. Beastie is not a religious icon, not is it intended to be one. FreeBSD has no connection (afaik) with any religion. What we do have is a well recognised and accepted logo which has been around for a long time. Changing it because a couple of people have misinterpreted it strikes me as foot shooting.

You're not seeing a problem, so what does that mean for those who do?
I'm a devout aetheist (recent convert from agnosticism) and have no
issues either, but I'm not closed-minded enough to think the rest of
the world thinks like me.

However, those who subscribe to the judeo-christian mythology
(remember satan and demons are christian inventions) could have a
problem with Beastie. Imagine FreeBSD not being used in the US
military because in God they trust, or churches using Windows servers
because that bill gates likes god, unlike us devil worshiping
heathens.

If you're not offended, bothered or whatever, that doesn't mean a
large portion of the world won't be.

(fwiw, I love Beatie but know those who don't)
--
   Jared Earle :: http://www.23x.net
 jearle@gmail.com :: There is no SPORK