Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:05:16 -0400
From:      stan <stanb@panix.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What invokes cricket on FreeBSD

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 02:45:52PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> >On Thursday 03 September 2009 21:02:41 stan wrote:
> >
> >> pnoc# cat collect-subtrees
> >> #!/bin/sh
> >>
> >> echo STARTED >> /tmp/stan
> >> which perl >> /tmp/stan
> >> /usr/local/cricket/cricket/collect-subtrees.pl normal >> /tmp/stan
> >> echo Done >> /tmp/stan
> >>
> >> /tmp stan contains:
> >>
> >> pnoc# cat /tmp/stan
> >> STARTED
> >> /usr/bin/perl
> >> Done
> >> STARTED
> >> /usr/bin/perl
> >> Done
>
> That 'which perl' may not really help any, since collect-subtrees runs
> perl from /usr/local/bin/perl.
>
> Although I'd expect an error if /usr/local/bin/perl was missing.  You
> could change your test script to see:
>
> /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/cricket/cricket/collect-subtrees.pl
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

Here is the new test script:

#!/bin/sh

echo started >> /tmp/stan
/usr/bin/perl --version >> /tmp/stan
echo "++++++" >> /tmp/stan
/usr/bin/perl /usr/local/cricket/cricket/collect-subtrees.pl normal >>
/tmp/stan
echo "++++++" >> /tmp/stan
echo done >> /tmp/stan

And, here is tthe outptu file:

pnoc# cat /tmp/stan
started

This is perl, v5.8.9 built for i386-freebsd-64int

Copyright 1987-2008, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or
the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

++++++
++++++
done

When I su - to cricket. and run the collector, it takes a minute or so to
run, and generates a lot of output to the screen.

Also, wgen I do that, it's Cricket's logfile gets updated. Run from cron
the logfile never changes.

programs.