Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 21:46:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLD - what's the idea?

<<On Thu, 03 Dec 1998 16:11:33 -0800, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> said:

> I'm not fond of this sort of 'active match' approach at all;
> particularly for pccard devices it makes it impossible to apply an
> existing driver to a new peripheral without patching and rebuilding the
> driver, which is extremely lame.

The driver needs to know what sort of bus it's on -- there's simply no
escaping that.  (At a minimum, Ethernet cards need to be able to
figure out how to read their hardware addresses, which are invariably
in the CIS for PC-Card Ethernet cards.)  I would be willing to have an
``erratum database'' which indicates additional devices which should
be handled by an existing driver, but it should be the driver which
decides (after all, it might just inspect the programming model and
not look at the vendor information at all) whether it can handle the
card in question.  (We need to have something like this anyway, since
the Linux Card Services manual indicates that some cards come with
completely bogus CIS.)

In any case, the more like the official Card Services, the better,
since that's what will make it easy to port drivers.

> "serial/16550/modem".

Ugh.  I don't like the kernel being asked to parse more and more
arrays of text strings.  Deal with data in their natural format.

-GAWollman