Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2008 04:26:10 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem in checking machine architecture

Eitan Shefi wrote:

> I have a host with FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE (64 bit) installed.
> How do I check the host's architecture ?
>
> When I run: "uname -m"
> the output is: "amd64"
>
> When I run: "sysctl -a | less"
> and search for: "CPU"
> I see that:
> "hw.model: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5140  @ 2.33GHz
> hw.machine_arch: amd64"
>
> So, is this host's architecture is:
> Intel or AMD
>
> I'm confused about it.
> Can someone help ?

[snip]

AMD came out with the 64 bit extensions to the x86 architecture first. Intel
later followed AMD's lead but called their version EM64T. The distinction
between an "AMD" vs "Intel" architecture is incorrect. Furthermore, today
when referring to "architecture", most use x86 to represent 32bit and
x86_64 to refer to 64 bit processor versions.

FreeBSD simply refers to it as "amd64" because AMD was first to produce the
64bit instruction set extensions to the x86 architecture.

You may find this more helpful, as they probably explain it better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#Intel_64

-Mike