Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 23:44:19 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, dfr@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk bsd.kern.mk src/sys/alpha/conf Makefile.alpha

[I'm providing this and the following message for reference.  They
were posted to the committers list yesterday. -EE]

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 11:16:35AM +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > Eivind, who would like a full re-org of the entire kernel source
> > layout at some point.
>
> Any ideas on a decent layout?

bus/				# Bus-specific code
	eisa/
		dev/		# Devices for this bus
			<types>	# Type specifiers for drivers
			..
		..
	..
	isa/
	..
	pci/
	..
	ppbus/
	..
	usb
	..

arch/				# Architecture-specific code
	alpha/
		conf/
		..
	..
	i386/
	..
	pc98
	..
conf/				# Independent data for the kernel build system
..
fs/				# File system code
	disk/			# ... for file systems that go direct to disk
		cd9660/
		..
		ext2/
		..
		ffs/
		..
		msdos/
		..
	..
	lib/			# ... that is shared over several FSes
		ufs/
		..
	..
	net/			# ... for network file systems
		coda/
		..
		nfs/
		..
	internal/		# ... for internal use
		deadfs
		..
		fifofs
		..
		specfs
		..
	..
	stacking/		# ... for stacking over others
		nullfs
		..
		umapfs
		..
		union
		..
	..
	virtual/		# ... for FSes that create virtual spaces
		devfs/
		..
		kernfs
		..
		portal
		..
		procfs
		..
		fdesc
		..

	..
..
net/			# Networking code, all layers (except drivers)
	atalk/
	..
	atm/
	..
	ether/
	..
	inet/
	..
	ipx/
	..
..
dev/			# Device drivers
	net/		# Network interface drivers
	..
	video/
	..
	audio/
	..
	cdrom/
	..
	scsi/
	..
	misc/
	..
..
pesudo/
	ccd/
	..
	vn/
	..
..
misc/
	cam/
	..
	ddb/
	..
	posix4/
	..
	kern/
	..
	libkern/
	..
	vm/
	..
..
include/
..

... and 'boot' and 'compile' outside the kernel tree.

This is just a very quick attempt at a hierarchially based layout; I'm
sure there are lots of possible improvements.

> (Any ideas on how to get enough people to agree on change?)

Not a clue.

Eivind.