Date:      25 Feb 1999 16:11:01 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        GVB <gvbmail@tns.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RADIUS Solutions [synchronizing passwords across systems]

spork <spork@super-g.com> writes:

> Merit Radius does allow for crypted passwords in the 'users' file, so it
> is pretty easy to grab the wanted UIDS (generally based on group), mush
> them through a script and end up with a usable users file.  This way
> you're not needing to make actual accounts on all of your machines other
> than for staffers.  This has been working really well for us so far on our
> backup auth server.

In a previous life, I did just this in order to replicate the RADIUS
info (was using Ascend's commercial RADIUS, which had undocumented
support for crypt()'ed passwords).

But I used "rsync" over ssh to do the copying. Ran it out of cron
every 5 minutes or so since rsync won't copy unless something
changes. Worked well and I was happy with the security via ssh.