Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 23:34:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        mel kravitz <mk@i-2000.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: httpd server hosted from ip other than NS

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, mel kravitz wrote:

> Hi,
> How can i set up apache server on on a lan box rather than on the ns
> box? My setup:
> IN-->56KDSU/router<---tx0---->FreeBSD(Dual homed host & ns
> &firewall)--tx1&tx0--hub#1
>
> hub#1<--------->tx0--Freebsd/httpd &dialin server & mail-server.
>
> -----tx1---->hub#2---office machines(win95), building a tight firewall
> says that httpd server , and mail server should not be contained in this
> box.
> thanks in advance-mel

There are different theories on how to set this up depending on what you
need your firewall to do.  The one I've seen the most about involves
setting up a supersecure `bastion host' outside the firewall, then allow
the services you want to come through the firewall only from the bastion
host.

I'd suggest looking into some good security books & resources for other
ideas.