Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:44:48 +1000
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@shoal.net.au>
To:        "M.C Wong" <mcwong@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions freebsd <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [2.1R] PPP login problem using user ppp (iijppp) and pppd

Sorry about the delay, I've had this in my mail for a while and haven't got
around to answering it.

(iijppp - I haven't tried pppd yet)
For starters did this use to work with another ISP? If so then tun0 is probably
ok otherwise you may have to have a look in the handbook on how to set it up,
however if you use dynamic ip addresses don't put the ifconfig_tun0 line in
your /etc/sysconfig as ppp works it out for you and if you disconnect and
reconnect you'll have problems.

To connect I do the following:

ppp <enter>

ppp ON circus> set device /dev/cuaa1
ppp ON circus> set speed 57600
ppp ON circus> set parity none
ppp ON circus> set timeout 1200
ppp ON circus> accept chap
ppp ON circus> disable pap
ppp ON circus> set authname username
ppp ON circus> set authkey password
ppp ON circus> set openmode active
ppp ON circus> set ifaddr 0 0
ppp ON circus> term
atdt225003 (connect modem to isp)

At this stage we get a menu and i put in my username and password, select ppp
from a menu and ppp switches to packet mode. Yours may be different. Your
prompt should change from
ppp to PPP:

PPP ON circus>

which indicates that ppp is up and running. I'm not 100% sure what some of
these commands do, and i've put them all in my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf along with a
set dial command and set login command script which automatically log me into
my isp. I did a bit of experimenting and found that i needed set openmode
active for it to work (but don't know what it does - anyone?) and
set ifaddr 0 0 which sets your ip address and his ip address according to what
he tells you.

I hope this helps.

Andrew Perry
mailto:andrew@shoal.net.au