Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 03:09:06 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up: static -ification

On Mon, Feb 09, 1998 at 07:55:59PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > I'm just about to commit a change that staticize close to everything that
> > can be staticized and doesn't look unreasonable to staticize (almost 400
> > variables and functions).
> >
> > If anybody get problems with undefined symbols in some way, then please
> > yell at me.
> >
> > GENERIC and LINT compiles and links as usual.
>
> Remember that functions and variables are exported interfaces in
> many cases.  This includes user space uses for "ps", "w", "netstat",
> and so on, as well as kernel space uses.

I know.  I hope I didn't break any of them; the suspicion that I might
have was the reason for sending the heads-up in the first place.

I though fixing this (the extreme spread of kernel symbols) was worth
the potential trouble.

BTW: Speaking of symbol spread - you once gave a reference to the ld
manpage and implied that it was possible to create new object files
included a specific subset of the symbols from the original object
files.  I tried to find out how to do this, as I wanted it both for
the kernel and for libalias, but I've spent quite some time without
finding out how to do it.  Would you mind giving detailed
instructions?  (Re-creating object files is easy, the problem is
controlling which symbols to include on a fine-grained basis).

> For a potential kernel environment, you should be careful to not
> disallow dynamic replacement of kernel pieces using "generic"
> loadable modules (ie: if something is a function pointer, it
> should not be static'ed, unless there is an encapsulation function
> that can be used to modify its value, and then the encapsulation
> function should not be static).

I think I may have broken one of these.  I'll look through my patches
again.  (I remember seeing something that looked like the above, and I
don't remember what I did with it.  I just remember being in doubt.)

Eivind.