Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:39:03 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot hangs at 'Mounting root' after 3.4-S -> 4.1-S upgrade

[ Originally, I posted this to freebsd-questions, but there were no
replies and I came to conclusion it might be the BSD interaction w/
the buggy chipset ]

Hello all,

I recently upgraded (or tried..) my 3.4-STABLE system to 4.1-STABLE.

I did as follows (pretty much along the lines of UPDATING):

- CVSup everything RELENG_4 from a server
- make buildworld
- make buildkernel KERNEL=myown (tuned down from generic)
- make installkernel KERNEL=myown
- cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod ; make install
- cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV /dev ; cd /dev ; sh MAKEDEV ad[01]s[12][a-h]
(all entries used in /etc/fstab)
- Changed all references to wdXX to adXX in /etc/fstab
- reboot

[ - after the reboot I had the intention to finish the update process. ]

Now, the bootup process hangs after printing:

Mounting root from ufs: wd0s1a [or similar]

There is no disk activity. CTRL-ALT-DEL works only sometimes (prints out
stuff like killing bufdaemon, etc.)

I booted the system using kern/mfsroot/fixit.flp combo, rebuilt kernel
(this time GENERIC) and installed it.  The same freeze happened with
GENERIC kernel too.  The same also happens if you tell boot loader 'boot
-a' and choose ufs:/dev/ad0s1a.

The system in question is P90, with buggy CMD640 chipset (identified as
such).  100% same procedure worked fine on my other, P2 system.

Anyone used CMD640 chipset system w/ FreeBSD-4.x?  Have you had any
problems.

Any ideas?

Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi      not those you stumble over and fall"