Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:13:47 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND 9.3.1 - How to get rid of AAAA querys?

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 01:36:30PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> since we are talking about IPv6, how do people genarlly find it on FreeBSD?

I've had FreeBSD machines doing IPv6 since about 2000 without many
problems.

> I use 6to4 in a number of places, but have had a few problems with it
> unfortunately

I use 6to4 more-or-less every day.

> - one of the most annoying being dropped TCP connections
> which lead to me turning it off on my home machine.

This sounds like broken path MTU discovery. Is it possible that you
have a firewall blocking ICMP packets in the way?

> The other problem I
> had was connecting through the 6to4 machine freezing for 30 seconds
> or so after they start getting data, and thehn returning the rest of
> the data a few seconds later.

The whole machine, or just the network connection? I've never seen
a whole machine hand - I have seen delays connecting to machines
that do reverse DNS lookups on 6to4 address, as the reverse tree
for 6to4 hasn't always been in great shape.

> Performance has also been poor compared to IPv4.

Like any sort of tunneling, 6to4 can suffer from senic routing.
Several of our local ISPs run internal 6to4 routers, which helps.

	David.