Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:51:46 -0500
From:      "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: route pointing to a gateway that's not on net

So what you are saying is that with the:
   route add -net default -iface -interface xl0
command the system thinks there is a direct connect.  Doesn't this
then send all packets out, since there is no address supplied with
the route command, or is this a function the the 10.*.*.* addresses
are private network addresses.

If it sends all packets out, I would expect the 10.17.47.37 to receive it
and forward it, since it is the gateway/modem.

Having taken a quick look at the arp man page, it seems that one needs to
arp each address/host rather than globally.

Again, what I'm trying to do is get the system to pass all packets to
the gateway/modem for forwarding over the net.

Thanks
Jim