Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:01:55 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        <l.farr@epcdirect.co.uk>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mylex DAC Driver

[ Sorry about the re-transmit -- I hit "send", then thought of one
more thing, and couldn't stop it in time.  Sigh....  I hate
single-processing boxes.  -BK ]

At 10:59 AM +0000 1999/12/16, Lawrence Farr wrote:

>  I have 3 or 4 Mylex controllers hanging around which I would like to use on
>  some FreeBSD machines that I am going to build. I would prefer to boot from
>  the RAID, as opposed to a single disc, which I know is not the best way of
>  working but I need solidity of data over speed.
>  Did the DAC driver make it into 3.4, or should I use CURRENT?. They will not
>  be Mission Critical, but the data is.

	You'd have to talk to Mike, but it's my understanding that the
drivers are still under development, and not all the Mylex
controllers are covered (the older ones are, but not the newer ones
-- of course, I don't believe you can buy the older ones anymore,
unless you buy them second-hand).

	Personally, I'd put this in the same category as vinum -- safe
enough to use in certain modes (in the case of vinum, combinations of
striping and mirroring, but not RAID-5), but not yet safe enough to
use across the board for everything.

	I'd also put this in the same category of using a -CURRENT box
for production (i.e., "Mission Critical") purposes.  Not recommended,
but if you're willing to take the risk, then I guess you can do
whatever you like.

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.