Date:      Sat, 09 Jun 2001 12:36:30 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        "Patrick W. Penzias Dirks" <pwd@apple.com>, FreeBSD-FS@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-Arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for pivot_root-like system call?

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Terry, the 'cache coherency' bugs have been fixed in -current for ~8
> > months now (September 2000).  The infrastructure changes for this are
> > subject to a call-for-review right now for a merge to 4.x.
>
> Peter, the 'cache coherency' bugs have only been fixed for
> the trivial case where the pages at the top are identical
> to the pages at the bottom of a vnode stack.

Which is exactly what we're talking about - the trivial one-to-one mapping.
See the example that you previously posted, but so thoughtfully removed:

> > It doesn't work in FreeBSD proper because of cache coherency
> > bugs that have been around since 1995, but:
> >
> > mount -t nullfs / /put_old # or wherever
> > mount -t <whatever> /
> >
> > Would do what you want, I think.

There are no cache coherency bugs in this situation, which is all we were
talking about to start with.  You were the one that went off on a tangent
on one-to-many mappings, but that is not related to the question at hand.
(pivot_root(), remmeber...)

Yes, you are absolutely correct about getpages/putpages etc being the real
fix that enables all the good stuff, but that wasn't the issue at hand.

Cheers,
-Peter