Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 1997 00:55:13 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win 95 PPP faster than pppd?

> Sorry for the cross-post, but, although this is question, I think it'll
> need the knowledge base of the hackers list.
>
> Anyhow, today, I ran a Windows 95 client, and a FreeBSD 2.2.2 and 2.2.5
> PPPd client through a remote access server that I'm testing. DTE rate
> on the 16550s were 115200 in all cases. VJ compression on, bsd
> compression off. I FTP'ed a TSB-standard file that has been rated
> "very compressible". I ran dozens of iterations on both the Win 95,
> and FreeBSD box, and got consistent results.
>
> The FreeBSD boxes managed about 8.26 K/s. The modem DTE port
> was saturated at 115200bps +/- 20bps .

I recently did some quick tests on pppd under -current & 2.2.2.  In
comparison, the older 2.2.2 pppd *sucks*.

pppd 2.3.1 from -current either matched or out-performed user-ppp,
and both trod all over pppd from 2.2.2.

Try testing against the current user-ppp (upgrade the 2.2.2 box from
http://www.freebsd.org/~brian).  You can expect at least this
performance from pppd on -current (and maybe better).

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;