Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:59:18 +0100
From:      "Oliver Hartmann" <ohartman@uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.3-[RELEASE-p1|STABLE] SMP crashes

Dear Sirs.
First, please do not reply on this address, your reply will never reach =
me. Please contact me at ohartman@web.de. I can not post into this =
newsgroup via web.de due to SPAM exclusion of several web.de hosts.

As I reported very often in the past I have still massvie problems with =
SMP enabled on a FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p1 __and__ FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE box. =
The crash is always of the same typus as I can 'watch' how the machine =
freezes and for some lucky moments I am able to switch to the console =
before the box dies definitely and watch what error message comes up.

This machine is a ASUS CUR-DLS maiboard, utilizing the RCC ServerWorks =
chipset, version 3 for Pentium 3 CPUs. At this moment I use two Intel =
1GHz CPUs of the same stepping, but prior to this error report I used =
two CPUs with 866 Mhz and of different steppings, but it seems to make =
no difference.

I also tried a lot of kernel options, especially those which are =
supposed to be critical (means: I switched them off) and I used a =
GENERIC kernel for a while, but it makes no difference. The crash occurs =
while using a graphical console, Xorg X11 (version 4.7.0 as compiled =
from the ports), fvwm2 (develepmonet version, but crash occurs also with =
windowmaker so the GUI seems not to be an issue). I also tried to fix =
the problem by using built in fxp-NIC instead of the 64Bit Intel GBit =
LAN adapter (em0), but it is always the same.

I will append a mptable -verbose -dmesg output for your information and =
I will add the error message I receive.
Most time when the crash occurs I did a lot of graphical load (working =
on several TIFF files 200MB in size or with Mozilla/FireFox), but this =
may simply trigger or fasten up the problem.

Sometimes I can not get a 'systat -vmstat 1' output, calling vmstat in =
systat results in 'Alternate system clock has died. Reverting to =
''pigs'' ...'. This happens very often in SMP, but not in UP.

I will add, that the UP system (SMP disabled by kern.smp.disable=3D'1' =
in loader.conf) was up for nearly 13 days under same conditions when a =
SMP box crashes after several minutes, sevral hours.

This is the last console error I received:

cpuid =3D 1; apic id =3D 00
fault virtual address  =3D 0x1c
fault code  =3D  supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer  =3D  0x8:0xc062ac76
stack pointer  =3D  0x10:0x4e2d7ac
frame pointer  =3D  0x10:0xe4e2d7c4
code segment  =3D base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
              =3D DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags  =3D interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL =3D 0
current process =3D 44 (swi5: clock sio)
[thread 100042]
Stopped at      vref +0x16: lock cmpxchgl %edx, 0x1c(%edx)

I am not a technical thug nor a kernel programmer. I tried to figure out =
what command got executed at address via recommended mn -n kernel|grep =
c062ac76
and it results in 'T vref'.

What is 'swi5: clock sio'? Is this problem hardware related? Why only in =
SMP? Others seem not to have problems with 5.3 and SMP, maybe this is =
very specific to me due to the RCC based mainboard I use (in the past I =
had a lot of problems with a TYAN 2500 mobo also based on ServerWorks =
chipset in conjunction with FreeBSD 4/5).=20

This is my =
mptable-output:=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

MPTable, version 2.0.15

 looking for EBDA pointer @ 0x040e, found, searching EBDA @ 0x0009f000
 searching CMOS 'top of mem' @ 0x0009ec00 (635K)
 searching default 'top of mem' @ 0x0009fc00 (639K)
 searching BIOS @ 0x000f0000

 MP FPS found in BIOS @ physical addr: 0x000f5270

------

MP Floating Pointer Structure:

  location:                     BIOS
  physical address:             0x000f5270
  signature:                    '_MP_'
  length:                       16 bytes
  version:                      1.4
  checksum:                     0xe3
  mode:                         Virtual Wire

------

MP Config Table Header:

  physical address:             0x000f4e60
  signature:                    'PCMP'
  base table length:            276
  version:                      1.4
  checksum:                     0x0d
  OEM ID:                       'OEM00000'
  Product ID:                   'PROD00000000'
  OEM table pointer:            0x00000000
  OEM table size:               0
  entry count:                  26
  local APIC address:           0xfee00000
  extended table length:        124
  extended table checksum:      198

------

MP Config Base Table Entries:

--
Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step    =
Flags
                 3       0x11    BSP, usable     6       8       6       =
0x387fbff
                 0       0x11    AP, usable      6       8       6       =
0x387fbff
--
Bus:            Bus ID  Type
                 0       PCI  =20
                 1       PCI  =20
                 2       ISA  =20
--
I/O APICs:      APIC ID Version State           Address
                 2       0x11    usable          0xfec00000
                 3       0x11    usable          0xfec01000
--
I/O Ints:       Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID =
PIN#
                ExtINT   conforms    conforms        2     0          2  =
  0
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     1          2  =
  1
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     0          2  =
  2
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     3          2  =
  3
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     4          2  =
  4
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     6          2  =
  6
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     7          2  =
  7
                INT      conforms    conforms        2     8          2  =
  8
                INT      conforms    conforms        2    12          2  =
 12
                INT      conforms    conforms        2    13          2  =
 13
                INT      conforms    conforms        2    14          2  =
 14
                INT      conforms    conforms        2    15          2  =
 15
                INT     active-lo       level        0  15:A          3  =
 14
                INT     active-lo       level        2     9          2  =
  9
                INT     active-lo       level        1   3:A          3  =
  6
                INT     active-lo       level        1   5:A          3  =
  8
                INT     active-lo       level        1   5:B          3  =
  9
--
Local Ints:     Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID =
PIN#

------

MP Config Extended Table Entries:

--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address
 address base: 0x0
 address range: 0x10000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xe8000000
 address range: 0x18000000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xa0000
 address range: 0x20000
--
Bus Heirarchy
 bus ID: 2 bus info: 0x01 parent bus ID: 0
Compatibility Bus Address
 bus ID: 0 address modifier: add
 predefined range: 0x00000001

------

dmesg output:

WARNING: /compat was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /homes was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /usr/data was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /usr/local was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /usr/obj was not properly dismounted
/usr/obj: mount pending error: blocks 21296 files 928
/usr/obj: superblock summary recomputed
WARNING: /usr/scratch was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /usr/src was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /var was not properly dismounted
pflog0: promiscuous mode enabled
em0: Link is up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
em0: promiscuous mode enabled
em0: promiscuous mode disabled

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D