Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 11:57:55 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dmaddox@scsn.net
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The BSD License

> Ok, at this point, I think I have asked the wrong question.  It seems
> to me that the important question wrt STAC is 'What are licensing terms
> acceptable to the FreeBSD core team for software included in the base
> distribution?', not 'What is the meaning and intent of the BSD license?'.

I can summarise this (being reasonably familiar with the attitude
through recent investigations of my own).

 - If source code is not available and freely redistributable, it is
   impossible for it to be included in the FreeBSD codebase.  (This is
   really a no-brainer).

I do not believe that STAC would be willing to release their code under
these terms.

*However*  it is not unlikely that STAC would be willing to license the
code to you under an NDA.  It would be trivial to provide a generic
pluggable-compression interface inside the user-PPP program.

Thus, if you were willing to maintain the code yourself, you might well
be able to provide a freely-redistributable STAC compression module
which would plug into user-PPP.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\