Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 16:24:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@cksoft.de>
To:        Johann Botha <joe@frogfoot.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: punch_fw

Hi,

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Johann Botha wrote:

[snipp]
> i've used ipfilter's nat for active ftp.. worked well, but i would really
> like to keep this box a ipfw box.
[snipp]

have you tried using the -s option on natd.  This fixes active mode ftp
and a couple of other protocols for natd.

From the natd manpage.

     -use_sockets | -s
                 Allocate a socket(2) in order to establish an FTP data or IRC
                 DCC send connection.  This option uses more system resources,
                 but guarantees successful connections when port numbers con-
                 flict.

natd uses libalias (man libalias) to work the magic.

I would be gratefull for a way of using libalias for a plain ipfw based
firewall.  One would propably have to hack something similar to natd and
hang it in using divert.  I just have not taken the time yet to fully
understand the libalias api etc... to be able to hack something like that.

Anybody done it yet ???

Greetings
Christian

--
CK Software GmbH i.G.
Christian Kratzer,		Schwarzwaldstr. 31, 71131 Jettingen