Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:20:48 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.nl>
Cc:        Kevin Weiss <kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE 64 problems

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 05:33:44PM +0200, Reinoud Koornstra wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Okay finally i got my sb awe 64 working.
> Mainly thanks to the last mail i got the x11amp didnt work to well.
> I tryed xmpeg3 but also that one wasnt to right.
> finally i tryed mpg123 and that started to play actually! happiness.
> Oh yes, how?
> This is how it worked for me:
>
> 1) i Added these lines to the kernel conf file:
>
> controller	snd0
> device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
> device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
> device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
> device awe0     at isa? port 0x620
> device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
>
> 2) i added to the /boot/loader.rc these lines:
>
> load /kernel
> load -t userconfig_script /boot/kernel.config
>
> 3) i added to the /boot/kernel.conf these lines to the beginning of the
> file:
>
> pnp 1 0 os port0 0x220 port1 0x330 port2 0x388 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5
> pnp 1 0 enable
> pnp 1 1 os port0 0x208
> pnp 1 1 enable
> pnp 1 2 os port0 0x620 port1 0xa20 port2 0xe20
> pnp 1 2 enable
>
> 4) in /dev i did: 'sh MAKEDEV snd0'
>
> 5) /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
>    cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
>    make depend
>    make
>    make install
>
> MYKERNEL is the name of the kernel conf file in my case.
> These are the steps wich made it actually work!
> I am meaning to put this on the web somewhere for all ppl who have an sb
> awe 64 and want to get it to work!
> Maybe this should be a part of the freebsd homepage somewhere?
> Anyway, all who helped me thanks!!! i think it works now fine, i hope
> hehehehehe. if not i'll be asking again help.

	I've got an AWE64 on my 2nd platform, which I recentlu
	up-rev'd to 3.2 ... so I'll be trying this.

	On my other system I have an old SB16 which is just fine
	for my development work.  Before I upgrade from 2.2.8 to
	3.2 and wreck things, I'd like to ask a pre-emptive question::

	Does anybody know how to get an old 16-bit SB working with
	FBSD-3.2?   ((Will it work to simply cut-and-paste my existing
	audio configuration?))

	gary

	PS:  Yeah, something like this should be on a web page
	     <<somewhere>>.  This information could be expanded
	     as necessary.   Good start.