Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 2005 02:35:01 +0100
From:      Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad characters in Asus A8N-VM CSM

--nextPart1903168.3AckSPnWF1

On Friday 23 December 2005 22:44, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Thursday 22 December 2005 11:55, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > I just picked up an Asus A8N-VM CSM motherboard. It's a nForce 430 +
> > GForge 6150 integrated mini-ATX job, amd64, very 1337 and new. That mea=
ns
> > trouble
>
> [Following up on myself, for documentation purposes, and CCing -amd64 to
> warn off potential users there as well.]

Same warning. Experiments with 6.0-STABLE x86 (so, really, amd64 readers ca=
n=20
switch off) show the following:

1) 6.0-R x86 can be installed if ACPI is switched off.

2) With ACPI off, an interrupt storm will use 97% of CPU or so, so the=20
installation takes a long time. It may be worth digging out a 2x CDROM driv=
e,=20
since I couldn't get a 52x to stay stable long enough to install from.

3) The DSDT is just so totally fscked on this system you need to hex-edit i=
t=20
to fix it. I'll post a partly-fixed DSDT on a website if anyone needs it.=20
This causes checksum errors, but that doesn't seem to bother the system.

4) With the fixed DSDT and TFH "11.16.5.3 Overriding the Default AML" you c=
an=20
boot with ACPI enabled and the interrupt storms will be over.

4a) Fixing the rest of the AML is beyond my ken, since it's got methods use=
d=20
before definition (can I just move them up in the source file?).

4b) If that's fixed, then there's a bunch of If(SS1) statements outside of=
=20
method bodies; SS1 is defined as constant 1 elsewhere, so this looks like=20
it's intended to be conditional compilation, which the current iasl doesn't=
=20
support.

4c) If anyone else feels like looking at the ASL, I'll post it somewhere.

5) I just panic'ed the system while downloading portupgrade and accessing t=
he=20
CDROM drive concurrently, so stability is an issue.

=2D-=20
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot