Date:      Fri, 23 May 1997 14:18:33 -0500
From:      "Randy DuCharme" <randyd@nconnect.net>
To:        "New User" <stefan.veith@mail.online-club.de>, "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.com>
Subject:   Re: "System full"? / Linux emulation

 ----
From: Paul T. Root <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To: New User <stefan.veith@mail.online-club.de>
Cc: questions@freebsd.com
Date: Friday, May 23, 1997 1:53 PM

>In a previous message, New User said:
>> -- [ From: New User * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>>
>> 1. Question:
>> I tried to compile a new kernel with my personal configuration (ISDN,
no
>> SCSI, etc) but whenever I type "make" it says after some minutes of
>> compiation: "System full [...]". Where is my problem? I use a 1-GB-HDD;
>> typing "df" I learn that about 60% of /var and /usr are in use
(/proc=100%).
>> Do I have too little memory (12K) or a too slow processor (486/DX-40)?
[I
>> think that this could *not* be the reason.]
>

>I assume that's 12M of memory. /proc will always be 100%.
>I'm not sure what this could be. System full isn't a normal
>FS error. Can you send the actual output of the build?
>How much swap to you have, maybe you're running out of main
>memory/swap.
>

>> 2. Question:
>> I tried to run Liunx programmes; before I did so, I changed in
>> /etc/sysconfig LINUX="NO" to "YES". But having restarted my computer
none of
>> them ran. I use the 2.2.1-stable release of FreeBSD and did evereything
the
>> handbook says. Where is the error? And one more question: Do Linux
>> programmes run slower on FreeBSD than under their native platform? I
mean:
>> is this emulation robbing system resources and computing time?
>
>Did you install the linux libraries? (linux-lib package) try running
>/compat/linux/usr/sbin/ldd on the linux programs your trying to run.
>It will tell you if any libraries are missing. What programs are you
>trying to run? I have doom, acroread and Star Office running fine
>under linux.

Greetings,

FWIW When I installed the linux compat package it installed them to
/compat/linux....  .  With a 20M / file system I quickly ran out of space
and got all sorts of 'file system full' error messages. I moved
/compat/linux to /usr, created the appropriate links, and the problems
disappeared.  Could this be the problem, perhaps?

Randy DuCharme