Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:31:42 +0100
From:      Stefan Esser <se@mi.uni-koeln.de>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Symbios 875 activity LED?

On 1999-01-16 22:01 -0600, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> #ifdef  SCSI_NCR_SYMBIOS_COMPAT
>         if (!(np->rv_gpcntl & 0x01))
>                 np->features |= FE_LED0;

Symbios uses bit 0 of the GPIO register to control the busy LED,
and this test just makes sure, that the GPIO control register
defines this bit as an output. Bit 0 and 1 are dual function,
by the way, also used to control a serial EEPROM, if present.

But since you can't tell whether a card follows the Symbios SDMS
convention of connecting the LED to bit 0 of GPIO (some cards use
the SCSI bus busy line to drive the LED, for example), of whether
some other GPIO bit is used, I'm not going to make
SCSI_NCR_SYMBIOS_COMPAT defined by default, or even suggest it's
use to people that are not sure whether their SCSI card follows
the NCR/Symbios convention.

If PCI subvendor IDs were actually used, then I could make the
FE_LED0 bit depend on the card vendor and model.

But as of now, even scanning for the presense of an SDMS BIOS is
not safe, since a system may have SDMS in the mainboard BIOS, and
some card-specific BIOS on the SCSI card (and GPIO pin 0 used for
some other purpose, most likely to control writing of the Flash
SCSI BIOS ROM).

It is simple to positively detect the Tekram SCSI cards, and I
know those don't follow the SDMS convention (and because of
Tekram's policy to support free operating systems, we even know
exactly how to make best use of their cards!).

But as long as I'm not able to *positively* detect SDMS compatible
cards, it's just to dangerous to make any assumptions about what
GPIO<0> does or doesn't ... ;-)

Regards, STefan