Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2001 12:51:08 +0200
From:      Hanno Liem <freebsd@dark4ce.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail or Postfix?

Hi all,

The company I'm working for is currently running Sendmail 8.8 on various
Suns and FreeBSD boxes. I am planning to reinstall everything because of
several reasons (one of which is security).

I am considering moving over to Postfix. It seems that there are less
security issues with Postfix and that it is more stable. Is this an
illusion? :-)

I know that sendmail has a larger userbase and is older; this could be a
hint that it is better, but I wouldn't know; have little experience with
administering mail systems. I have some experience with sendmail.

If I would like to have as little hassle as possible and don't -really- want
to do exotic things (okay, I know, this is pretty vague) - what should I
use? Sendmail? Postfix? Something else?

Issues:
- If possible, avoiding to patch every week for the buffer overflow of the
  day. Security.
- Simple to configure. Well. As simple as possible.

Thanks,

Han