Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 19:51:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@village.org
Subject:   Re: recent apm changes

>> "MI" == Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org> writes:

    plm> In contract, if I suspend in Linux of Windows, the computer shuts up
    plm> immediateley and is quiet. Only sometimes there is a (not too loud)
    plm> little fan (I think it is the CPU fan) running for a few more minutes.

    MI> I've read Linux code (v2.2.9) closely, noticed they put cli
    MI> before APM BIOS call and save & restore segment registers.  I
    MI> suspect these two (or only cli?) affect the suspending state.
    MI> To clarify, could you try attached patches (for
    MI> sys/i386/i386/bioscall.s) one by one?

I've tried them all. They don't make a difference alas.

In doing so, to my surprise I found out that when I suspend my computer
in FreeBSD, it isn't suspended at all!

I have an ATX case with an Asus P2B motherboard. When I suspend my
computer, the power led starts flashing (and keeps doing so).

When I suspend my computer in Linux or Windows, as mentioned, the
computer gets quiet (HDD spins down etc). The led flashes.

Now I found out that when I suspend it in FreeBSD (either with
sleep 1; zzz
or with the suspend button or through the BIOS timer), the led starts
flashing, but processes just keep running! I never paid attention to
it, but I got suspicious because I'm running setiathome which accesses
the harddrive occasionally, and even during suspend mode I heard the
typical HDD sound sometimes.

So the problem is not an incomplete suspend, but no suspend at all. It
seems to suspend at first, the led starts flashing, the screen is
blanked, but somehow the computer keeps running.

--
Peter Mutsaers |  Abcoude (Utrecht), | Trust me, I know
plm@xs4all.nl  |  the Netherlands    | what I'm doing.