Date:      Wed, 08 Jul 1998 12:25:01 +0100
From:      Jon Schneider <jschneider@cix.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.2.6 chokes on my keyboard

I have not managed to get an answer to this from usenet or
search engines.

I obtained a (Cheapbytes) FreeBSD 2.2.6 and set about installing.
I created a boot floppy from the image on the CD (not being able to
boot off it directly).

On booting I choose fullscreen configuration (rather than CLI
or skip) and sort out the devices. I then save+quit.
The kernel restarts.

A load of devices are then listed but early on there is an
error message like (from memory)

sc0: Unable to restore keyboard command bye
and
Unable to set keyboard control byte
and something about port 0x60

After "probing" which thrashes the disks the coloured fullscreen
installation menu appears but I cannot do anything as my keyboard
is disabled.

Works on another machine so I think the floppy and my actions are ok.

I don't know of anything strange with this established
486 DX4-100 VL-bus machine which runs linux ok.

What could be wrong ?

Regards,

Jon Schneider