Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 2016 19:33:25 +0100
From:      Bernt Hansson <bah@bananmonarki.se>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        questions FreeBSD <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Got a panic today

On 2016-02-22 19:13, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 18:38:46 +0100, Bernt Hansson wrote:
>> This panic showed up today once;
>>
>> panic: AP (PHY# 1)
>>
>> What is AP and PHY?
> AP seems to refer to the CPU, the "application processor"
> See for comparison this dmesg output:
>
> 	FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
> 	FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s)
> 	 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
> 	 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
>
> Here we see BSP ("bootstrap processor") and AP.
>
> PHY seems to refer to physical characteristics of interfaces.
> Again from "dmesg | grep PHY":
>
> 	nsphy0: <DP83840 10/100 media interface> PHY 24 on miibus0
> 	ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> PHY 1 on miibus1
>
> You often see comparable output related to NICs. For example,
> if you search "man rl" for the string "PHY", there are refernces
> to the physical chipset (physical layer, as opposite to the MAC,
> the media-independent layer). It's a reference to the OSI layer 1.
>
> So in your case, the error refers a panic of the application
> processor, which is the 1st physical processor.
>
> I hope my guesses are correct. :-)
Very often they are, but I had the same kind of "panic" in windows.
The machine would run för any number of minutes then the
screen went black and the led on the monitor started blinking slowly
like if the screensaver started.

This is what SEEMS to have "fixed" the problem;

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/19515/