Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:23:55 -0700
From:      "Sam Bailey" <sbailey@speakeasy.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with CD-Rom install

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C24DAB.7701ACA0

I am a new user to FreeBSD as well as Unix.  I used Unix back in college =
compile FORTRAN programs, but unfortunately that was many moons ago.  I =
am
building a web server at home, as I have a 1500/384 DSL connection.  The
website will be basically for informational purposes, no database =
services,
i.e. low volume.

I have an old ASUS P6NP5 Pentium Pro system with 128 MB RAM and a 20 GB =
IDE
HDD.  The CD-ROM is a SCSI Plextor 12/20, controlled by an Adaptec =
2940UW
controller.

I downloaded 4.6.2-Stable ISOs, and burned them with Nero in Windows =
2000.
I boot to the SCSI controller, the Adaptec controller sees that there is =
bootable CD in the CD-Rom, there is a message that states that the =
CD-Rom
will be switched to Drive A and Drive A will become Drive B. But then =
the
system just halts with a blinking cursor.  The HDD currently has old =
data on
it formated NTFS, but I plan on overwriting the whole drive.  Do I need =
prepare the HDD somehow?

Any help would be appreciated, and if this is the wrong group for this
question, please point me in the right direction and I'll post there.

Thanks,

Sam

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C24DAB.7701ACA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#48bd7d>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D3>I am a new user=20
to FreeBSD as well as Unix.&nbsp; I used Unix back in college =
to<BR>compile=20
FORTRAN programs, but unfortunately that was many moons ago.&nbsp; I=20
am<BR>building a web server at home, as I have a 1500/384 DSL =
connection.&nbsp;=20
The<BR>website will be basically for informational purposes, no database =

services,<BR>i.e. low volume.<BR><BR>I have an old ASUS P6NP5 Pentium =
Pro system=20
with 128 MB RAM and a 20 GB IDE<BR>HDD.&nbsp; The CD-ROM is a SCSI =
Plextor=20
12/20, controlled by an Adaptec 2940UW<BR>controller.<BR><BR>I =
downloaded=20
4.6.2-Stable ISOs, and burned them with Nero in Windows 2000.<BR>I boot =
to the=20
SCSI controller, the Adaptec controller sees that there is a<BR>bootable =
CD in=20
the CD-Rom, there is a message that states that the CD-Rom<BR>will be =
switched=20
to Drive A and Drive A will become Drive B. But then the<BR>system just =
halts=20
with a blinking cursor.&nbsp; The HDD currently has old data on<BR>it =
formated=20
NTFS, but I plan on overwriting the whole drive.&nbsp; Do I need =
to<BR>prepare=20
the HDD somehow?<BR><BR>Any help would be appreciated, and if this is =
the wrong=20
group for this<BR>question, please point me in the right direction and =
I'll post=20
there.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Sam</FONT><BR><BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML=

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C24DAB.7701ACA0--