Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:54:05 +0900
From:      horio shoichi <bugsgrief@bugsgrief.net>
To:        "Alex Zivenko" <twistfire@rambler.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 486SX, 100MB HDD - need FreeBSD, how?

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:44:55 +0300
"Alex Zivenko" <twistfire@rambler.ru> wrote:
> How to install freebsd on this machine? (Intel486SX-25Mhz, 8 Mb Memory, 100Mb HDD). There isn't cdrom.
> Maby I can setup it from other system, the recompile kernel for that processor, or what?
> Without x, witout any cool programs.
> I just need to do it log-server.

Are you, and the environment the box will be placed, ready for network boot ?
If so, it's the simplest.

The other extreme, if you must use full standalone, is like this :

o build your own release ('make release').
o repackage 'bin' and 'crypto' directories in ftp directory of the release
  to trim the size (disk requirement will go well below 20mb).
o using this release, do 'minimum' install using ftp or nfs.

With whopping 100mb given, there are many schemes in between (say boot
from disk, nfs mount /usr and others).

> Thank's all!

Good luck

horio shoichi