Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:22:39 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Gunnar Flygt <gunnar.flygt@sr.se>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq EVO N800c and acpi and usb wavelan

I have a Compaq Presario 2800 which seems to have very similar
features.  It has the same problems as well!  I don't like it
and I plan to get rid of it but here is what I learned so far:

You don't need to unset acpi_load, just add
    hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
to /boot/device.hints.  Note the extra "d" after "disable".
Add
    apm_load="YES"
to /boot/loader.conf and you can see how well your battery
lasts.

You can add "device pcm" for audio.

Xfree86-4 (including GL h/w acceleration) works fine on this
thing but switching between virtual terminals and X doesn't
work and usually crashes.

FreeBSD won't deal with the the onboard mini-PCI modem.
Probably because its sublcass is PCI_SIMPLECOMM_OTHER -- it
may be a lucent winmodem.  Hard to tell without decent specs.

As for the pcmcia slot, OLDCARD devices pcic and card work
fine.  WIth NEWCARD devices cbb, pccard and cardbus, you may
need to add
    hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"
    hw.cbb.start_memory="536870912"
to loader.conf as well.  Works for me (for a modem card).