Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:18:32 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: hw.ata.wc && hw.ata.tags && softupdates short question

On 20-Sep-2001 Nuno Teixeira wrote:
>  For what I heard, I concluded that we shouldn't use softupdates with write
>  cache turned on. The first time that I tried this I loose a lot of work
>  due to a power failure.

You shouldn't use write caching, period.

Well you can but if you lose power you WILL lose data.

If you just want speed and care naught about your data go ahead :)
(I guess a UPS would increase your confidence)

>  1. Can I use softupdates with hw.ata.wc="1" and hw.ata.tags="1" safely?
>
>  2. Does hw.ata.tags="1" "allows write caching to be safely turned on really?

No, write caching tells the drive "Please lie to me about command completion"
so when the OS performs a write the drive caches it and says "yes that's on
disk", when it isn't.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum