Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:12:27 -0000
From:      paul@originative.co.uk
To:        julian@whistle.com, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        ck@adsu.bellsouth.com, obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: KLD naming

Why not have a third party identifier on the front, e.g.

whistle_ng_rfc1490

You can determine your own naming scheme then and if we make this
standard then it will ensure that third party supplied modules don't
result in name space conflicts. It's perfectly feasible in the future
that different companies might produce competing modules for subsystems,
sound for example, so we might as well deal with this possibility now.
Makes it easier to identify the source of the modules as well. Perhaps
we should adopt a FreeBSD prefix on core modules so you can see from ls
what's part of the OS and what's been added in from elsewhere.

Although I'm in favour of this naming scheme over directories you can
reach the point where the names are holding too much metainformation
that really should be directory structure. There wouldn't be need for
directories at all if you put the structure in the filename :-)

Paul.