Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 18:13:05 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
To:        fasi_74@yahoo.com
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing confusion !!! ????

fasi_74@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hello there
>
>  Well I am a newbie in UNIX routing ... & yesterday I was reading a book
> that tell you how to turn your hosts into routers ...

You are a newbie in sending E-Mail, too. Sending it twice is not really
neccessary, each reciepient gets it's own copy ;*)

> Well I have worked most of the time in windows environments ...so I was
> confused between the default gateway "address of the router in windows " &
> making your host with 2 network interfaces a router...
> what do we do when we run demons like routed & gated on our hosts ... do we
> use them to point to a router on our network
> or we use them to make our host a router ?
> the book sort of discuss both in a combine way so I am confused how do we
> enable ip forwarding ....

Wow, that's a lot of stuff out of the mixed bag. Seems you have to read
more on the subject. Anyhow:

- A router typically has at least two network interfaces. Its job is to
decide for each packet received on one NIC if it belongs to the net on
the other NIC.

- A gateway is one NIC of a router: this box "magically" throws all the
packets not belonging to the inside network to the other side.

- Routed and gated serve two different roles, depending on the OS. Gated
talks to other routers to discover the best route to each destination
dynamically. It is typically used on WANs, as well as in complicated
networks. Routed reads a static routing table from its configuration
file, it typically is used to route a LAN into the Internet.

To learn more on TCP/IP, Richard W. Stevens wrote the standard for that
protocol: TCP/IP illustrated.

HTH
-Christoph Sold