Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 07:06:17 -0500
From:      devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org
To:        Mark Hughes <mh_lists@digitalspy.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Softupdates & fsck

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 06:07:19AM -0000, Mark Hughes wrote:
> Guys,
>
> We've got softupdates enabled for all the filesystems, aside from /, on a
> web server. Recently a power outage at our ISP (due to a blow fuse or some
> such event) caused the power to our server to be cut completely for a brief
> period, obviously without warning or a graceful shutdown.
>
> Now, when we brought it back up, the filesystem was in a little bit of a
> mess, and we had to go into single user mode and use fsck to fix a number
> of errors (log below). I was somewhat suprised at this, as I was under the
> impression that softupdates whole purpose, aside from speed increases, was
> to never leave the file system in a state where it would need an fsck if
> the power was cut or the system crashed....
>
> Was I wrong in this assumption? Or is something strange going on...
>
> Any ideas as to what has happened gratefully received.
>
> ad0s1a: hard error reading fsbn 656735 of 328304-328415 (ad0s1 bn 656735;
> cn 40 tn 224 sn 23) status=59 error=40
>

> CANNOT READ: BLK 328304
>
> CONTINUE? [yn] y

This was on / without softupdates. The worst of your errors.

[snip]

> ** /dev/ad0s1h

[snip]

> UNREF FILE  I=3166465  OWNER=nobody MODE=100644
>
> SIZE=1295 MTIME=Dec  6 12:20 2001
>
> RECONNECT? [yn] y

lots of unreferenced files. You'll see that on the softupdates mounted partitions,
fsck is only reclaiming unused space by clearing up these unreferenced files.

[snip]
> ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
>
> FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
>
> SALVAGE? [yn] y
>

> SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
>
> SALVAGE? [yn] y

And here you have it. The summary info was bad. It's cleaning up the free blocks
incorrectly marked used.

[snip]

The rest of your file systems looked pretty much the same to me. Didn't look like they
were a "mess." Just reclaiming unused blocks as is supposed to happen with
softupdates. As others have noted, you can do this in the background in -CURRENT.

--devin