Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:33:06 +0930
From:      Wayne Sierke <ws@au.dyndns.ws>
To:        Chris St Denis <chris@smartt.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fix corrupted terminal output

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 17:09 -0700, Chris St Denis wrote:
> Occasionally, I accidentially cat a binary file or a directory casing
> the terminal output to be corrupted with text looking like (don't know
> if this will make it through the mail cleanly)
>
>     E???? ??? ?? ?????????.
>     ????2#
>

> To fix this normally I just close the window and open a new ssh
> connection, but I am wondering if there is a more clean way to do this.
> I've tried reset(1), but it doesn't seem to help any.

The terminal has probably switched to an alternate charset mode. I
recently encountered this situation while using tmux and found that
issuing 'reset' was ineffectual. To recover from this try issuing a \017
character to the terminal, or the escape sequence: ^[[m. How you can do
that most easily depends on which shell you're using at the time, so you
can try:

        /bin/echo ^v^o		(^v is ctrl-v  ^o is ctrl-o)
        /bin/sh -c "echo -e \\017"
        /bin/echo ^v^[[m
        /bin/sh -c "echo -e \\033[m"

Thanks go to Nicholas Marriott for pointing out this solution.

Wayne