Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 00:32:25 -0700
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bko@idiom.com>
To:        "Taylor Dondich" <thexder@lvcm.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can Services Be Restricted To Certain Ports?

In localhost.freebsd.questions, you wrote:
> I'm running Samba on one of my webservers with two interfaces, 1 public, 1
> private.  I've got the services only running on the private interface,
> however the web swat interface is bound to port 901 and will respond on
> either interface.  This is defined in /etc/services.  Is there a way to make
> the service only listen on a certain interface?

I believe that TCP wrappers will do what you want.  Look at the inetd
man page (specifically, the -w option and the section on TCP Wrappers)
and host_access(5) (note -- section 5, not section 3, which describes
the API).

I haven't tried it, however.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bko@idiom.com>   http://www.idiom.com/~bko/