Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:42:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New 3D software available

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Just managed to install your  super duper 3d graph package . Very , Very nice.
>
> The install was very painless :
>
> 1. installed  Mesa3  from the ports/graphics directory
> 2. Then follow your simple instructions and voila that whats it 8)
>

> Say , since I have it running on -current + XFree86 4.0 with a Riva
> TNT2 card got any ideas how can I add support for the 3d acceleration
> stuff found in XFree86 4.0?

The 3D code in 3.9.16 is not quite ready for prime time. It only supports
one card (an expensive Glint card) and the kernel component of the driver
model hasn't been ported to FreeBSD.

A better solution for now is to use Marc van Woerkom's port to build the
TNT glx driver for XFree86 3.3.x. This works but isn't as fast as it
should be due to the limited architecture (compared to what will be in
4.0).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com