Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 20:32:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sio problems

Hi there,
 I have been having problems with using my modem.

This first showed up when I had an internal modem.  Oh well, I thought,
I've always wanted to own an external anyway, and then I bought an
external modem.  No help.

Here are the symptoms:

I can talk to my modem -- send it commands, etc.  If I tell it "atdt" it
picks up the line.  If I tell it to dial, it does.  It even hardware-
handshakes with my ISP's modem.  But I don't get any data back from it.
It doesn't even echo my commands.

With userland ppp, I get the following output when I do a "show modem":

device: /dev/cuaa1  speed: 38400
cs8, no parity, CTS/RTS on.
connect count: 0
outq: ioctl probe failed: Interrupted system call
outqlen: 0

I've tried switching serial ports -- previously I had my mouse on cuaa1
and my modem on cuaa0.  No help.

I'm at my wits' end here.  I love this machine, I really want to be able
to connect using it.  Some of you here have used this box in the past when
it was narcissus.ml.org.  Please help.  :-(

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."