Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:36:16 GMT
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@unsam.edu.ar>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   amd64/122624: unusable mininal installation of FreeBSD-7.0

>Number:         122624
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       unusable mininal installation of FreeBSD-7.0
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I've installed a fresh copy of FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE (amd64) using the Disc1 ISO.

I did an expert installation, and selected 'Minimal' in the selection of packages/distributions, because I already have a setup in the lab with a build host having a CVS mirror of FreeBSD (a setup pretty similar to that described in development(7)).

Because of the minimal setup, /usr/src is empty.

This in turn produces the following errors upong boot:
ld-elf.so.1: assert failed: /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/amd64/reloc.c:341
Abort trap (core dumped)

This has the consequence that many executable files are missing. The most important of which is 'make' which prevents us from doing anything (installing ports, etc):
/usr/bin/make: Exec format error. Binary file not executable

This is solved if I edit /etc/fstab and mount a checkout of FreeBSD-7.0 sources in  /usr/src. But this is not a good solution. A minimal installation from CD should produce a working installation!